22 April 2006

Planting the plantation


Today was the big day. Tomato plants are now in the ground, shielded from the remaining frost by the Wall-O-Water. I buried each of them up to the last stem, cutting off all leaves and branches below to encourage good root growth. I also put some composted cow manure in each hole before the plants went in to provide a good source of nutrients when the roots get going. The ground was VERY soft as we've had over two inches of rain over the last three days

In addition to the tomatos, I also planted two varieties of hop vines. Hops are planted as rhizomes, which are technically stems not roots that have been harvested from a cultivated variety. I obtained mine from Northern Brewer online. The Cascade variety went into the newer bed by the playhouse. When the vines develop, I'll train them up the old rope ladder to climb. The other variety is Brewer's Gold and was a much bigger, thicker, and heartier looking rhizome. I don't know if that's the variety or just the particular cutting that I received. These went, one each, at the base of the A-frame footprint. I'll have to post a string to train them up the legs of the A-frame when the time comes. If they really take off, I'll then tie another string at the top of the A-frame to the top of the playhouse where they can mingle with the Cascades. The flyer that came with them said not to expect too much in the first year since they will be mostly establishing their root system. However, in subsequent years the vines can grow to as much as 25-35' long in 120 days. Flowering is in late July or early August.

No comments: