03 April 2006

Oh my Deer!

I'm less than a week into planting the garden and we're already getting our first pests. I went out yesterday morning to check the rain gauge and noticed some distinct deer hoofprints. There's nothing for them to eat yet but I don't want them getting in the habit of browsing my garden like their personal produce section. Looks like I'll be constructing some type of barrier, most likely a chicken-wire mesh. I'd like to find some design that I can easily remove for tending the plants once they've grown higher. I don't want to be bending over all the time. Fortunately, the garden isn't big enough to worry about them jumping a high fence. There would barely be space enough for them to land, much less stand and graze. 4 x 8' just isn't that big. If anyone has such a design, please let me know.

The rain came again last night. About .4" fell after I watered yesterday afternoon so the peat moss in the mix should be really soaking up the moisture by now. That's good, because I've started to worry that I mixed in too much sand with the mix.

No comments: