08 May 2007

P4: Pruning plastic, planting potatoes

We're approaching the last frost date and I took a bit of a look at the weather map and decided to chance it. Up came the rest of the plastic that had been warming the beds for the potatoes, pumpkin, and melons.
I put out the french fingerling potatoes from Seed Savers that arrived a few days ago. They've been resting under the grow light to get them to sprout at the eyes before going in the ground. I could have done this about two weeks ago but they only shipped on May 1. I'll save some for my own seed stock next year and try to give them a head start by going in April.
The giant pumpkin has been in the ground for about five days but under the cold frame where it appears to be thriving. In fact the automatic opener arm has slipped a couple of times and its gotten a bit wilted when the top didn't open as it should. A little air, some water, and that Dill's Atlantic Giant bounces right back to looking good. If I were going for a world record, that stress would be a no-no but 1500 lbs is probably out of my range anyway.
I put in two varieties of melons, Earlisweet Hybrid and a couple of Athenas. Managing all the vine growth is going to be a challenge this year but I'll figure out something.
Oh, I almost forgot, I was outside today harvesting the worm compost and applying as a side dressing when UPS pulled up with an order of Ancho/Poblano peppers for transplanting that I had forgotten I had ordered. They never even got inside the house as I took them straight to the garden and put them out.

No comments: