21 April 2007

The Big Day

This was the big day outside that we've been waiting for. The weather was pretty and temps were not too hot. Just right for getting outside. I put in the strawberry plants that have been growing under my indoor light and then covered them with a floating row cover (Agribon 19). I used wire hoops that I made myself from heavy gauge wire from Home Depot. This was much less expensive than buying the pre-cut wire from the row cover catalog. I also constructed a trellis for the pole beans to grow on, using three prefab climbers that I attached in a triangle using plastic computer cable zips. Finally, the bee hive that was gifted from my father-in-law and repainted this winter went outside, resting on a brick base to keep it off the moisture. It's still without frames and in need of some additional parts before hiving a swarm. We may not even get a swarm this year since there is a national problem with Colony Collapse Disorder. Before finishing, I also put out two broccoli plants.

No comments: