14 November 2006

Making my bed but not 'cause I slept in it

Over the last couple weeks, I've built two more raised beds and today found the time to fill one with the mix of soil elements. One is located at the end of the garage. I'm planning for that to be the asparagus patch. Asparagus like slightly acid soil so I put in a bit more sphagnum peat moss than I otherwise would. That will also help the thirsty ferns as it soaks up lots of water. The second bed (as yet unfilled) is near the back deck and will be our "kitchen box" for quick runs. It's mostly salad items, although I'm also planning to use the back edge as a trellis for pole beans. I have a plan for two more beds but time and money are two things in short supply right now. Between lumber, hardware, and soil elements, each 4' x 8' bed costs about $100 to complete.

No comments: