03 October 2006

Gearing up for the winter

I cleaned out the main raised bed last Saturday (9/30), leaving only one pepper plant that is yet to turn. I don't know if it will since the nights have now turned much cooler. I also constructed a crude cold frame, using some scrap lumber, lexan plywood (1/4") and an old case window that I bought from a local antique dealer for $5. The lexan, some foam sealer, and the hinges to attach it brought the grand total somewhere around $30. A coat of paint on the outside to protect the wood was the final step. I'm planning to use it for a planting of fall/winter spinach and lettuce as soon as the seeds arrive from Cook's Garden in the mail. The rest of the bed will be planted with a cover crop, probably some type of rye grass, to fix some nitrogen in the soil for next spring. I'm also planning to put in some garlic bulbs this month to grow over the winter and harvest in the spring.

No comments: