14 June 2006

Rocquette lettuce has lifted off















I pulled out the arugula (rocquette lettuce) today as it was sending up shoots for seed and likely would be too bitter to eat anymore. It's probably lasted longer than it should anyway, since it's been an unusually cool and wet spring. As you can see, however, from the photos above, the romaine varieties (top) are still looking great. The spinach, however, got a bit too much sun and is beginning to burn up a bit. I still have some more planted in the shady bed that hasn't browned yet but I'm sure it's day is coming. I bought some more seed for summer lettuce from Cook's Garden. They claim it's more heat resistant but I doubt it's as tasty. I'll be putting in the two new varieties this weekend, Pretty Baby Greens Mix (#525) and The Cook's Natural Lettuce Blend (organic, #E358). The new seed was $11.15 which brings the running total to $539.60.

No comments: