05 March 2006

The purchase

Today I began the garden season by opening up not the earth but my wallet. The entire family made the trek to Home Depot (we needed two cars to carry all the stuff). We had planned to go out to eat afterward but it took so long that the kids needed to get to bed so we just came home, driving slowly as both cars were overloaded with heavy bags of soil elements.

I'm working off the plan for a raised bed garden described in The 20-Minute Vegetable Gardener: Gourmet Gardening for the Rest of Us by Tom Christopher and Marty Asher.

The total cost of all materials to build and fill the bed was $178.29. That got me the wood, hinges, screws, topsoil, sand, sphagnum peat moss, and composted cow manure. I also threw in some pelleted lime to offset the acidity of the peat moss and a small box of 6-12-6 fertilizer.

No comments: